Food & Drink
 When to Visit

 City Guides

 Region Guides
 Cinque Terre

You are Here: > > Marriage in Italy

Marriage in Italy


Italy is always included in surveys of the most romantic places in the world. Maybe it’s the landscape: misty mountains, sunny vineyards, and rivers glinting like diamonds under a perfect sky. Maybe it’s the Old World charm: centuries-old churches that have witnessed thousands of wedding vows and cobble-stone streets which seem to wind back to a happier, more innocent era. Or maybe it’s the famous Italian wine, the long tradition of music and poetry, or the hundreds of castles that make you feel like you’ve stepped into a fairytale.

This kind of atmosphere makes Italy an ideal venue for a wedding. Though you will need to complete some additional documents, the extra trouble and cost is small compared to the satisfaction of having The Perfect Wedding. This is your day. Make it special.

Marriage Requirements

As you would for any other wedding around the world, you will need to present some documents before you can be legally married in Italy.

You will have to present a passport or a military ID, and certified true copies of your birth certificate (no photocopies allowed). If you were previously married, you need to bring a copy of your divorce papers or (if widowed) your former partner’s death certificate. All these documents must be translated into Italian.

Aside from getting your documents translated, you’ll need to get additional documents from either the Italian embassy in your country (ask for the Atto Notorio), or your country’s embassy in Italy (ask for the Nulla Osta).

Each country has its own set of additional requirements as well. For example, there are differences in the number of required witnesses who can attest to the bride and groom’s present marital status. Others will require Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. Those whose divorce was finalized less than 300 days will also need a waiver and medical certificate (stating that the woman is not pregnant) from anyone before the planned marriage. Check your embassy for more information.

There are also additional requirements for Catholic weddings. You will need to present original baptismal certificates, original first communion certificates, original confirmation certificates, a nulla osta from your country’s arch diocese, and proof, written on a church letterhead, of having completed the pre cana (or marriage seminars). You will also need to have marriage banns, or announcements during Sunday mass. While this normally takes two weeks, non-residents have no waiting period.

Page 1 2

| Employment | Advertise | Contact | Site Map | Link to Us

Copyright © 2005 - 2006 - All rights reserved